Athenry clinched the 2018 AIG Barton Shield, beating Dundalk by 3 holes.

In the top match, Louis O’Hara and Joe Bernie Junior beat Aaron Grant and Conor Curran by 4 holes.

Allan Hill and Darren Leufer lost their match to Caolan Rafferty and Eoin Murphy by 1 hole but with a 3 hole margin secured with just one hole left to play, the Connacht side had sealed their first ever senior title.

“I’m speechless and I’m not usually speechless” beamed Joe Bernie Jnr afterwards. “It’s the culmination of a lot of years of hard work I think for the golf club. This is the third time we’ve got to a senior all-Ireland and we’ve never won one and to do it today is absolutely magnificent. 

“I can’t speak highly enough of my partner Louis and our team captain Mike who has put so much into it, soldiered along for so many years. When you have talent like Darren and Allan and David as well, I think our day was coming, today was our day.”

Michael Lane, Athenry’s team captain was thrilled.

“I’m over the moon, absolutely thrilled, I’m lost for words to be honest. It’s fantastic for Athenry and Galway golf. It’s our first time ever winning a men’s senior event. I said earlier on that 20 years ago we couldn’t even field a Barton Shield team, now we have top players and that’s a testament to the junior convenors over the years and the likes of Declan Cunningham and Sean Whelan and the work they have put in with the juniors.

“Caolan [Rafferty] played in Athenry a few weeks ago and I brought my son down to watch him. I said this is a golfer you need to watch him. Arguably our best player is in Argentina at the moment [David Kitt], at the Youth Olympics and I am just off the phone to him. We have guys here who are all willing to step up to the plate. Joe Bernie, no more than myself, is not a young man and he battled and battled there today and he did the business. It’s brilliant.”

“The ball doesn’t know what size you are or what age you are. I had a great feeling going out because they are a great bunch of lads. They’re easily minded, the turn up and do all their stuff. They are a credit to their families and the club.”